The historic Bernard Goldsmith house in NW Portland was built in 1898 and designed by Edgar Lazarus. Over the years, the building was subdivided into a rabbit's warren of offices, but much of the original details were miraculously preserved. In 2014, a group of concerned individuals banded together to buy the building and save it from its impending demolition at the hands of a speculative housing developer. Brett Schulz was then hired to restore the building back to a single family residence, with new finishes, plumbing, energy code, and structural upgrades in the process. This project represents a proud moment for the firm to contribute to a true touchstone for the architectural heritage of the city.